Senior Scientist, Protein Engineering
Research | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics is a biotechnology company with a mission to catalyze the next revolution in cancer treatment through the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR T) therapy directed at blood cancers and solid tumors. Founded and led by former Kite Pharma executives who bring unrivaled clinical development acumen in cell therapy, Allogene is well-positioned to further the potential of allogeneic cell therapy for patients.
Allogeneic CAR T therapies are engineered from cells of healthy donors and stored for “off-the-shelf” use in patients. This approach eliminates the need to create personalized therapy from a patient’s own cells, simplifies manufacturing, and reduces the time patients must wait for CAR T treatment. The Allogene portfolio includes 17 pre-clinical T cell therapy assets and UCART19, an allogeneic CAR T therapy currently in Phase 1 development for the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Through its notable partnerships, Allogene leverages pioneering technology platforms, including TALEN® gene editing technology, to progress its portfolio of immuno-oncology therapies. Allogene, with headquarters in South San Francisco, California, is a Two River portfolio company formed with one of the largest Series A financings in biotechnology from the investment consortium of TPG, Vida Ventures, BellCo Capital, the University of California Office of the Chief Investment Officer, Gilead and Pfizer. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Allogene Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist in Protein Engineering to develop protein-based technologies to improve the efficacy and safety of allogeneic CAR T cells. The successful candidate will report directly to the Head of Protein Engineering and be responsible for developing these technologies in close collaboration with biologists. This will require detailed knowledge of structural biology, an understanding of protein engineering principles and biological know how to generate novel CAR T modifications to drive activity, persistence and selectivity of CARs as well as improve their safety. Candidates must be interested in working in a fast-paced, highly dynamic and collaborative environment. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of success preferably in an industry setting with expertise in CAR T research.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identify desirable CAR T cell attributes in close collaboration with biologists
- Design then validate novel protein constructs in the context of CAR T cells using in vitro assays then work closely with colleagues to test them using in vivo models
- Contribute to a collaborative group effort to advance allogeneic CAR T cell therapies into solid tumors
- Stay abreast of latest scientific and technology advancements in the field
- Train and mentor other scientists and perform other duties as assigned
- Present at group meetings and project team meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- PhD with a strong foundation in molecular biology, structural biology, cellular biology and immunology and at least 2 years of post-graduate experience in protein engineering acquired in either an academic or industry setting
- Experience in engineering non-antibody based proteins is required and antibody based proteins is desired
- Expertise with common immunological assays such flow cytometry based immunophenotyping, cytokine release, cellular proliferation and cellular signaling
- Experience with retroviral/lentiviral transduction of human T cells is highly desired
- Meticulous and highly organized as it pertains to experimental design, bench-work, record keeping and data analysis
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced, start-up environment, while dealing with ambiguity
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills including relationship building, conflict resolution, and verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process contact the careers email at www.allogene.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.