Senior Principal Scientist, Protein Sciences and Analytics
Research | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics, with headquarters in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (AlloCAR T™) therapies for cancer. Led by a management team with significant experience in cell therapy, Allogene is developing a pipeline of “off-the-shelf” CAR T cell therapy candidates with the goal of delivering readily available cell therapy on-demand, more reliably, and at greater scale to more patients. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, and follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Principal Scientist in Protein Engineering to lead the Protein Sciences group which is responsible for the protein expression, purification and analysis for all our research and development programs. The successful candidate will report directly to the Head of Protein Engineering and be a hands-on leader responsible for continuing our development and implementation of these key capabilities in support of our pipeline of allogeneic CAR T cells. The ideal candidate is an individual who is interested in working in a fast-paced, dynamic and highly collaborative bio-tech environment with a willingness and ability to successfully take on new challenges.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work within multi-disciplinary teams and across departments to prioritize resources in support of multiple programs
- Manage protein expression, purification and conjugation of all proteins
- Manage biophysical and biochemical characterization of all proteins
- Manage CROs for protein generation and antibody discovery when needed
- Manage direct report(s) including their performance and career development
- Express and purify a variety of proteins including monoclonal antibodies, antibody fragments, antigens and chimeric/fusion proteins
- Perform protein analytics on internally and externally generated proteins
- Deliver protein preparations and data analysis summaries in a timely manner to the project team
- Design, execute and troubleshoot protein purification and analytical protocols
- Stay abreast of latest scientific and technology advancements in the field and implement them as needed
- Train and mentor scientists and perform other duties as required
- Present at group meetings and project team meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- PhD in Biochemistry or related discipline with 10+ years of post-doctoral research experience
- Demonstrated track record of successfully leading a group and coordinating multi-disciplinary projects
- Experience with protein expression using mammalian cells. Prior experience with Expi293 is preferred.
- Experience with a variety of FPLC based chromatography techniques including Protein A, IMAC, IEX and SEC is required. Prior experience with AKTA Avant and Unicorn software is preferred.
- Experience with protein analytical techniques such as SDS-PAGE, HPLC, SEC-MALS, and DSC is required. Experience with SPR (Biacore) is preferred
- Meticulous and highly organized as it pertains to experimental design, bench-work, record keeping and data analysis
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver high quality results within reasonably established timelines
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication and relationship building are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment and quickly adjust if priorities change
- Desire and ability to learn required skills quickly
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.