Senior/Principal Scientist, Product Characterization
Process and Product Development | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
About Allogene Therapeutics, Inc:
Allogene Therapeutics, with headquarters in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (AlloCAR T™) therapies for cancer. Led by a world-class management team with significant experience in cell therapy, Allogene is developing a pipeline of “off-the-shelf” CAR T cell therapy candidates with the goal of delivering readily available cell therapy on-demand, more reliably, and at greater scale to more patients. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, and follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Allogene is seeking a Senior or Principal Scientist to join the Product Characterization team in a critical position to build on our understanding of Allogene’s CAR-T products. The candidate will be an established cellular T-cell immunologist with deep experience in analyzing the phenotypes of cells by flow cytometry and other cell-based approaches.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Act as a leader and subject matter expert for cellular immunology as a product characterization scientist within the Product and Process Development group
- Design cell analytical methods (proliferation, exhaustion, health, cell fitness/metabolism) to interrogate the function of T-cell starting material, during manufacturing and in drug product to contribute to critical quality attribute (CQA) identification and correlation with clinical outcomes and contribute to manufacturing process understanding and design
- Work with bioinformaticians/data scientists to derive understanding from omics data sets including RNAseq, scRNAseq, proteomics and assist in developing tools that can be used by biologists to interrogate data; relevant experience in this area would be highly valuable
- Work across multiple functions within the company to successfully deliver impactful insights into our understanding of the biology of drug product
Position Requirements & Experience:
- PhD in immunology, cell biology or related field with demonstrated relevant experience to carry out responsibilities of position
- 8+ years of experience in a similar role in the biotechnology industry; experience in the adoptive T-cell therapy field would be highly beneficial
- Creative problem solver with the ability to utilize new technologies to dive deeper and more broadly in advancing your knowledge in the field of T-cell biology to solve challenges in developing CAR-T and other adoptive T-cell therapies; experience with data and pathway enrichment/analysis, R script or similar functional tools, and visualization tools such as Spotfire or Tableau
- Expertise in:
- Multiparameter flow cytometry method design and demonstrated application to interrogating functional phenotype of T-cell subsets
- T-cell culture and cell-based assay development and refinement, including potency, proliferation, exhaustion
- Understanding of ex vivo cell metabolism and fitness relationships of engineered T-cell therapeutics to vivo function in the tumor microenvironment, correlates to clinical activity
- Partner with Process Development scientists to understand drug product and design experiments to interrogate cell function and fitness
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to effectively prioritize work in a rapidly evolving landscape to deliver results within established timelines
- Ability to work independently and as a part of teams across multiple groups and in critical interactions with Analytical and Process Development, Research, Translational, Quality and Biometrics
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication to work effectively within a collaborative work environment
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact the careers email at www.allogene.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.