Principal Scientist, Process Virology
Process and Product Development | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
About Allogene Therapeutics, Inc:
Allogene Therapeutics, with headquarters in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (AlloCAR T™) therapies for cancer. Led by a management team with significant experience in cell therapy, Allogene is developing a pipeline of “off-the-shelf” CAR T cell therapy candidates with the goal of delivering readily available cell therapy on-demand, more reliably, and at greater scale to more patients. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, and follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
We are seeking a Principal Scientist to join the Process and Product Development organization, to study cellular immune response to viral infection. The individual will lead characterization of virus infection, latency and activation and development of control measures in the context of CAR T manufacturing process.
This individual will study the involvement of innate immunity mechanisms in control of virus infected T cells and provide technical leadership in characterization of virus biology in the context of CAR T manufacturing. This individual will also lead development of methods related to virus detection and control as well as working in cross-functional teams to contribute to high-level strategies and platforms for virus safety and control in CAR T manufacturing.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design, execute and evaluate experiments to characterize and define cellular response to virus infection and reactivation
- Design, execute and evaluate experiments to understand virus infection, latency and reactivation in vitro
- Develop methods for detection of surrogate markers of virus replication and reactivation
- Collaborate with R&D to provide process development expertise for characterization and optimization of methods for evaluation of cellular response to virus infection/activation
- Work with internal and external partners to troubleshoot method performance issues
- Develop in vitro, scale-down models for virus infection and reactivation
- Participate in cross-functional teams
- Provide input into strategy and platforms for virus safety and control
- Develop and evaluate next generation technologies for virus detection and quantitation
- Other duties as assigned
Position Requirements & Experience:
- PhD in immunology, virology, cellular and molecular biology or related discipline with 4+ years of relevant experience in virology or cellular immunology.
- Significant experience with mammalian cell culture and virus production in mammalian cells
- Experience with cell therapies or other advanced therapy medicinal products
- Experience in immunology with robust skills in techniques such as flow cytometry, immunofluorescent microscopy, molecular and cell biology techniques and immunology-based assays.
- Experience with bioinformatics analysis, scientific writing and presentations
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.