Finance | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics is a biotechnology company with a mission to catalyze the next revolution in cancer treatment through the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR T) therapy directed at blood cancers and solid tumors. Founded and led by former Kite Pharma executives who bring unrivaled clinical development acumen in cell therapy, Allogene is well-positioned to further the potential of allogeneic cell therapy for patients.
Allogeneic CAR T therapies are engineered from cells of healthy donors and stored for “off-the-shelf” use in patients. This approach eliminates the need to create personalized therapy from a patient’s own cells, simplifies manufacturing, and reduces the time patients must wait for CAR T treatment. The Allogene portfolio includes 16 pre-clinical T cell therapy assets and UCART19, an allogeneic CAR T therapy currently in Phase 1 development for the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Through its notable partnerships, Allogene leverages pioneering technology platforms, including TALEN® gene editing technology, to progress its portfolio of immuno-oncology therapies. Allogene, with headquarters in San Francisco, California, is a Two River portfolio company formed with one of the largest Series A financings in biotechnology from an investment consortium which includes TPG, Vida Ventures, BellCo Capital, the University of California Office of the Chief Investment Officer, and Pfizer. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Allogene is seeking a Payroll Analyst to manage all payroll preparation and complete all aspects of post payroll activities including preparing journal entries for submission to Finance reporting to support account reconciliation and tax filing), processing and distribution duties and will provide assistance to both internal and external customers when necessary. Company is using a PEO to provide payroll and benefit service, but intend to bring in-house as soon as practicable.
This position will report directly to the Controller.
The Analyst will also be responsible for identifying best practices and new legal developments, and developing recommendations for program and system enhancements needed to support a competitive total reward strategy aimed at attracting and retaining world class talent. The ideal candidate for this role is an individual who is excited to take on new challenges in a fast-paced and dynamic start-up environment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Independently responsible for collecting, validating, processing, and reconciling periodic and special payrolls for employees according to company's payroll process policy and guidelines and state labor laws.
- Develop and implement company payroll policies and procedures and an employee handbook.
- Manage PEO relationship and support transition from PEO to in-house as soon as practicable.
- Maintain proper documentation of payroll records in compliance with laws, regulations, and company policies (i.e. timesheet, HR documents, Management correspondence).
- Support onboarding of new hires and terminations.
- Research discrepancies of payroll documentation for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and adherence to procedure prior to processing.
- Research, resolve and discuss payroll inquiries from employees.
- Maintain employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Responsible for the coordination efforts between Payroll, Human Resources, Finance, Accounting, Legal, and other departments to ensure proper information flow and maintain employee data in systems.
- Manage company-wide payroll meetings to keep employees up to date on policies and processes.
- Identify, address, and make recommendations for workflow issues in a timely and professional manner.
- Prepare and enter payroll journal entries using payroll system reports and manually managed information, reconciling systems with reports.
- Calculate fringe benefits allocation entries across departments.
- Validate paid time off (PTO), and other estimated wage expenses are properly recorded according to company policy and complete monthly account reconciliations.
- Calculate month end payroll accruals.
- Post inter-company cross charges related to payroll.
- Distribute to managers PTO use and accrual reports as generated by the payroll system.
- Respond to internal inquiries regarding payroll procedure/other payroll related information.
- Be the backup processer of accounts payable invoices and payments.
- Other ad-hoc duties as assigned.
- Enter all stock compensation income into the payroll system.
- Assist Finance and external auditors for quarterly reviews, year-end audits, as well as ensuring that tight internal controls are in place and procedures are followed to satisfy periodic review of compliance with effective internal controls.
- Interface with state and local government auditors in connection with review of payroll tax reporting.
- Associates degree in accounting is required. Bachelor's degree in Accounting is a plus.
- CPP designation is a plus.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in a similar role is required.
- Working knowledge of state and federal labor laws, accounting policies, practices, and systems is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment. Strong attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may email us through our careers website at www.allogene.com for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.