Legal | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics is a biotechnology company with a mission to catalyze the next revolution in cancer treatment through the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR T) therapy directed at blood cancers and solid tumors. Founded and led by former Kite Pharma executives who bring unrivaled clinical development acumen in cell therapy, Allogene is well-positioned to further the potential of allogeneic cell therapy for patients.
Allogeneic CAR T therapies are engineered from cells of healthy donors and stored for “off-the-shelf” use in patients. This approach eliminates the need to create personalized therapy from a patient’s own cells, simplifies manufacturing, and reduces the time patients must wait for CAR T treatment. The Allogene portfolio includes 16 pre-clinical T cell therapy assets and UCART19, an allogeneic CAR T therapy currently in Phase 1 development for the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Through its notable partnerships, Allogene leverages pioneering technology platforms, including TALEN® gene editing technology, to progress its portfolio of immuno-oncology therapies. Allogene, with headquarters in San Francisco, California, is a Two River portfolio company formed with one of the largest Series A financings in biotechnology from an investment consortium which includes TPG, Vida Ventures, BellCo Capital, the University of California Office of the Chief Investment Officer, and Pfizer. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Description and Responsibilities:
Allogene is seeking an internal IP Counsel to work closely with Allogene's in-house research, development, manufacturing, and business development teams on intellectual property matters. This position will report directly to the General Counsel. This individual should be able to independently identify legal and other issues potentially impacting the business and contribute effectively to legal and other cross functional projects.
- Draft and prosecute patent applications (US and foreign patent offices as needed).
- Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of assigned projects.
- Conduct patentability and freedom-to-operate reviews.
- Counsel research and management colleagues in regards of patent portfolio and strategy
- Review and assist in the drafting of nondisclosure, research, license and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of intellectual property.
- Review proposed publications in regards of potential invention disclosure.
- Provide support for business development, including for in-licensing and acquisitions.
- Juris Doctorate and admission before a State bar or fully qualified legal credentials in California.
- Years of experience as a Patent Agent can be substituted if currently pursuing Juris Doctorate.
- 6 years of industry or law firm experience.
- Fully admitted to practice applicable laws in the country or jurisdictions of responsibility.
- Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry or related sciences preferred.
- Registered before the USPTO. • Ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work with others to resolve conflict in order to meet objectives.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S. As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact the careers email at www.allogene.com for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.