Intellectual Property Attorney
Legal | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics, with headquarters in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (AlloCAR T™) therapies for cancer. Led by a management team with significant experience in cell therapy, Allogene is developing a pipeline of “off-the-shelf” CAR T cell therapy candidates with the goal of delivering readily available cell therapy on-demand, more reliably, and at greater scale to more patients. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, and follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Position: Counsel, Intellectual Property
Location: South San Francisco, CA (Remote Potential)
The successful applicant will share responsibility for the full scope of global IP issues (patent, trademark, copyright and trade secrets), including client counseling; patent preparation and prosecution; rendering legal advice on patentability, validity, and freedom to operate; due diligence reviews; and intellectual property-related transactional work. Additional responsibilities include working closely with R&D to monitor the progress of Allogene’s in-house research; and identifying and addressing IP aspects of regulatory matters. This opportunity also involves close coordination with, and cost-effective management of, Allogene’s outside counsel.
The IP Counsel is expected to work independently, and to demonstrate initiative, sound judgment, and a service-oriented focus. The ability to work as part of cross-functional teams is essential. The IP Counsel is expected to independently and proactively identify IP and legal issues relevant to Allogene’s business objectives. The ability to counsel research colleagues, business colleagues and senior management by providing clear advice is essential. The IP Counsel is also expected to develop a deep understanding in Allogene’s business and scientific expertise.
This position will report directly to the Senior Director, Intellectual Property and will be based out of South San Francisco with the ability to work remotely from anywhere in the US.
- Proactively identify opportunities to protect Allogene’s IP
- Draft and prosecute patent applications (US and foreign patent offices)
- Develop a detailed understanding of ongoing development projects and provide IP support to project teams, as assigned by the Senior Director of IP
- Conduct patentability and freedom-to-operate reviews
- Challenge or defend IP in US or foreign adversarial proceedings, consistent with the company’s goals
- Counsel Research and Management with respect to Allogene’s patent portfolio and IP strategies
- Review IP aspects of nondisclosure, research collaboration, license, service and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of intellectual property.
- Review proposed publications with a focus on potential invention disclosures
- Provide IP support for Allogene’s Business Development and Alliance Management functions
- Other ad hoc projects and duties as assigned
- Juris Doctorate and admission before a State bar or fully qualified legal credentials in California with at least 6+ years of in-house and/or law firm experience, ideally a mix of both
- Strong prosecution skill and registered before the USPTO
- Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry or related sciences required, advanced degree preferred
- Experience in foreign adversarial proceedings (patent litigation, oppositions, nullity actions, etc.) is desirable
- Experience in the pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical industry, particularly in the field of cell therapy, is strongly preferred
- The ability to develop, manage and grow the IP aspects of international collaborations; functionality in a foreign language is an asset
- A working understanding of cell therapy, immunology, molecular biology, cell biology, microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, structural biology, and/or biopharmaceutical process development and manufacturing will be a key asset
- The successful candidate will have a strong client service focus, the ability to work efficiently, independently and in teams
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results in a fast-paced, clinical-stage environment
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.