Head of Protein Engineering
Research | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics is a biotechnology company with a mission to catalyze the next revolution in cancer treatment through the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR T) therapy directed at blood cancers and solid tumors. Founded and led by former Kite Pharma executives who bring unrivaled clinical development acumen in cell therapy, Allogene is well-positioned to further the potential of allogeneic cell therapy for patients.
Allogeneic CAR T therapies are engineered from cells of healthy donors and stored for “off-the-shelf” use in patients. This approach eliminates the need to create personalized therapy from a patient’s own cells, simplifies manufacturing, and reduces the time patients must wait for CAR T treatment. The Allogene portfolio includes 16 pre-clinical T cell therapy assets and UCART19, an allogeneic CAR T therapy currently in Phase 1 development for the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Through its notable partnerships, Allogene leverages pioneering technology platforms, including TALEN® gene editing technology, to progress its portfolio of immuno-oncology therapies. Allogene, with headquarters in South San Francisco, California, is a Two River portfolio company formed with one of the largest Series A financings in biotechnology from an investment consortium which includes TPG, Vida Ventures, BellCo Capital, the University of California Office of the Chief Investment Officer, and Pfizer. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Description and Responsibilities:
Allogene is seeking a head of Protein Engineering to support our allogeneic CAR T cell drug development portfolio. The successful candidate will report directly to the Chief Scientific Officer, be part of the research leadership team and contribute to overall scientific strategy. The role will include designing a strategy involving both building in-house expertise and leveraging external vendors to supply an end to end suite of protein engineering capabilities including antigen generation, antibody discovery, biophysical characterization of materials and all activities to support research of a team of biologists across multiple tumor indications.
The head will also be responsible for leading a technology development effort, working closely with biologists to bring detailed knowledge of structural biology, protein engineering principles and biological know how to generate novel CAR T modifications to drive activity, persistence and selectivity of CARs. Candidates must be interested in working in a fast-paced, highly dynamic environment with effective collaboration as an essential goal. Excellent communication skills, the ability to think strategically and to efficiently manage resources will be essential. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of success preferably in an industry setting with expertise in CAR T research.
- Assemble and maintain an integrated protein engineering team by identifying key internal hires and a resource-sparing outsourcing approach
- Oversee antibody discovery and engineering efforts for pre-clinical evaluation as CAR T cells.
- Oversee biophysical and biochemical characterization of all proteins.
- Work within multi-disciplinary teams and prioritize resources to support multiple programs.
- Contribute to developing the next generation allogeneic CAR T cell platform by leading protein engineering efforts.
- Evaluate and incorporate new technologies to support antibody discovery and engineering and protein engineering.
- Determine magnitude and scope of external protein engineering collaborations.
- PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, chemical engineering or a related discipline.
- 10-15 years of experience in antibody based drug discovery and engineering acquired in both an academic and industry setting.
- Expert in antibody discovery and engineering with deep knowledge of state-of-the-art technologies and methodologies.
- Experience building and leading a team to successfully provide antibody and protein engineering functions.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully collaborating within cross-functional teams and overseeing multi-disciplinary projects.
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- History of publication in high-impact journals demonstrating dedication to innovation.
- Experience with CAR T cell and antibody discovery and engineering is essential.
- Experience in engineering non-antibody based proteins is highly desired.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact the careers link at www.allogene.com for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.