Director, Translational Oncology
Clinical Development | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics is a biotechnology company with a mission to catalyze the next revolution in cancer treatment through the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR T) therapy directed at blood cancers and solid tumors. Founded and led by former Kite Pharma executives who bring unrivaled clinical development acumen in cell therapy, Allogene is well-positioned to further the potential of allogeneic cell therapy for patients.
Allogeneic CAR T therapies are engineered from cells of healthy donors and stored for “off-the-shelf” use in patients. This approach eliminates the need to create personalized therapy from a patient’s own cells, simplifies manufacturing, and reduces the time patients must wait for CAR T treatment. The Allogene portfolio includes 16 pre-clinical T cell therapy assets and UCART19, an allogeneic CAR T therapy currently in Phase 1 development for the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Through its notable partnerships, Allogene leverages pioneering technology platforms, including TALEN® gene editing technology, to progress its portfolio of immuno-oncology therapies. Allogene, with headquarters in San Francisco, California, is a Two River portfolio company formed with one of the largest Series A financings in biotechnology from an investment consortium which includes TPG, Vida Ventures, BellCo Capital, the University of California Office of the Chief Investment Officer, and Pfizer. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Description and Responsibilities:
Allogene is seeking a Director of Translational Oncology to help craft and execute the research strategy which will emphasize both immuno-oncology and translational research covering the drug development continuum. The ideal candidate for this role is an individual who is excited to take on new challenges in a fast-paced and dynamic start-up environment. This individual will be responsible for building a Translational Research group that will provide advisory support for both forward and reverse translational research and a Translational Bioassays team that will apply traditional (e.g., tissue imaging) and cutting-edge molecular technologies to support forward and reverse translational research.
- Help establish an updated drug discovery strategy and roadmap with a particular emphasis on leveraging translational oncology in pursuit of immuno-related opportunities for cancer therapeutics.
- Build a world-class team to oversee Translational Research by helping research teams develop robust translational data packages to support early clinical proof-of-concept, as well as research needs of post-POC clinical programs and marketed projects.
- Establish a network of external scientific advisors to engage frequently with executive and project teams in alignment with the core research strategic pillars.
- Provide guidance to project teams for identifying targets, patient candidates, and research strategies with a translational path enabling clear go-no/go decision points in early clinical development.
- Works closely with the overall oncology R&D community within Allogene to align on overall the oncology strategies and goals and evaluate external opportunities.
- PhD and/or MD in relevant field of biomedical research.
- A senior researcher with 15+ years of relevant industry experience in all phases of drug development and with extensive experience in oncology and translational science.
- A recognized expert in drug development and forward and reverse translational science.
- Excellent understanding of clinical development and regulatory processes.
- Must be able to collaborate and work with other departments such as Clinical, Commercial, Finance, Research & Development, Manufacturing, and Supply/Purchasing.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact the careers email at www.allogene.com for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.