Director, Facilities and Engineering
Operations | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Allogene Therapeutics is a biotechnology company with a mission to catalyze the next revolution in cancer treatment through the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR T) therapy directed at blood cancers and solid tumors. Founded and led by former Kite Pharma executives who bring unrivaled clinical development acumen in cell therapy, Allogene is well-positioned to further the potential of allogeneic cell therapy for patients.
Allogeneic CAR T therapies are engineered from cells of healthy donors and stored for “off-the-shelf” use in patients. This approach eliminates the need to create personalized therapy from a patient’s own cells, simplifies manufacturing, and reduces the time patients must wait for CAR T treatment. The Allogene portfolio includes 16 pre-clinical T cell therapy assets and UCART19, an allogeneic CAR T therapy currently in Phase 1 development for the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Through its notable partnerships, Allogene leverages pioneering technology platforms, including TALEN® gene editing technology, to progress its portfolio of immuno-oncology therapies. Allogene, with headquarters in South San Francisco, California, is a Two River portfolio company formed with one of the largest Series A financings in biotechnology from an investment consortium which includes TPG, Vida Ventures, BellCo Capital, the University of California Office of the Chief Investment Officer, and Pfizer. For more information, please visit: www.allogene.com, follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Director, Facilities and Engineering will be responsible for building the Corporate Engineering and Facilities department to support the operations and planned growth of Research and Development, Administrative Groups and future Manufacturing facilities. This will entail managing and executing the modification of current and future facilities, utilities, HVAC, control systems as well as equipment relocation, installation, calibration and validation. The position is also responsible for managing the ongoing continuous improvement of the engineering, facilities and validation systems.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develops facility and engineering optimization strategy
- Oversee the space planning for all departments within the company
- Manages the engineering budget planning and facility capital projects and makes recommendations on all department requests for capital expense items
- Analyzes technology and resource needs to plan and assess the feasibility of projects
- Develops the Engineering standards, Engineering SOPs and procedures
- Leads architectural, landscape, and interior design and campus branding as required
- Accountable for developing and executing strategies related to equipment relocation and installation as well as office space layout and move planning
- In collaboration with finance, drives vendor selection, management, and resource optimization for facility and engineering services
- Ensures regulatory compliance with various regulators/agencies
- Manages all EH&S and Security activities for the company (including that all federal, state and local standards and codes and that all requirements of regulatory agencies are met or exceeded)
- Recruit, train and manage staff in accordance with the company’s policies and applicable laws
- Other duties as assigned
Position Requirements & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mechanical, electrical or related field or equivalent experience required, advanced degree preferred with at least 8-10 years of facilities and engineering or building operations experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Project Management Experience, PMP is a plus
- Able to build and manage a team as well as train entry-level personnel
- Experience in pharmaceutical and/or biopharmaceutical industry facility ramp up and equipment layout, installation and calibration
- Experience with utilities, engineering, maintenance, computerized systems and validation activities in a GMP environment
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within aggressive timelines
- Comfortable in a fast-paced small company environment with minimal direction and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact the careers email at www.allogene.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.