Associate Director, Genome Molecular Analytics
Process and Product Development | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
About Allogene Therapeutics, Inc:
Allogene Therapeutics, with headquarters in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (AlloCAR T™) therapies for cancer. Led by a management team with significant experience in cell therapy, Allogene is developing a pipeline of “off-the-shelf” CAR T cell therapy candidates with the goal of delivering readily available cell therapy on-demand, more reliably, and at greater scale to more patients. For more information, please visit www.allogene.com, and follow @AllogeneTx on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Allogene is seeking an Associate Director, Genome Molecular Analytics to join the Attribute Sciences team in Process and Product Development. In this critical position, the candidate will drive Allogene’s drug product analytical strategy for gene edited cell therapies by acting as a leader and subject matter expert for the molecular analytics of genome modification and editing. This is an exceptional opportunity to work at the leading edge of technology to advance gene edited allogeneic CAR T products through manufacturing and into the clinic.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Build and lead a group focused on developing and implementing molecular analytical assays and tools for characterizing alterations to the genomes of gene edited CAR T cell therapies. The position will report to the Head of Attribute Sciences in the Process and Product Development department
- Operate at the forefront of the field in developing and utilizing analytical and informatics tools to assess on- and off-target editing associated events such as INDELS and translocations in CAR T cells to support product characterization, contribute to company gene editing safety strategy in meeting regulatory requirements; experience with the regulatory requirements in a clinical or GMP setting would be highly beneficial
- Seek out and develop molecular and cytology approaches to more quickly detect and quantitate translocation and other events associated with on- and off-target chromosome alterations; work with process engineers to control and minimize these events in drug product
- Assessment of integration events in cells modified by lentivirus and targeted gene insertion approaches
- Interface with external partners including service providers, key technology partners and bioinformaticians to access technologies
- Work across multiple functions within the company to successfully deliver impactful insights into our understanding of Allogene’s TALEN-edited drug product
- Be a key contributor to omics approaches such as RNAseq, scRNAseq, Nanostring, single cells analytics to assist in analyzing data and developing tools that can be used by biologists to interrogate data; relevant experience in this area would be highly valuable, but not required
- Implement automation in molecular biology methods and other workstreams
Position Requirements & Experience:
- PhD in molecular genetics, molecular cell biology or a related field with demonstrated relevant experience in gene editing and analytical method development to carry out responsibilities of position
- 10 years of experience in a similar role in the biotechnology industry; experience in adoptive T-cell therapy or a related therapeutic gene and cell therapy modality
- Creative problem solver with the ability to utilize new technologies to dive deeper and more broadly in advancing our knowledge in the gene editing analytical field to solve challenges in developing gene edited CAR T and other adoptive T-cell therapies
- Extensive knowledge and experience with gene editing platforms, including TALENs, and on- and off-target editing discovery techniques
- Knowledge and experience with short and long read next generation sequencing platforms, informatics tools, and molecular assay design and development
- Adept with molecular biology techniques (primer/probe design, qPCR, ddPCR)
- Ability to work and partner with bioinformaticians will be necessary; bioinformatics programming, tool development and scripting skills would be highly advantageous
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to effectively prioritize work in a rapidly evolving landscape to deliver results within established timelines
- Ability to work independently and as a part of teams across multiple groups and in critical interactions with Analytical and Process Development, Research, Translational, Quality and Biometrics
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements for gene edited or gene modified cellular drugs; direct experience defending safety strategies and analytics to US and Ex-US regulatory agencies
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication to work effectively within a collaborative work environment
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
As an equal opportunity employer, Allogene Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.