Vice President- Africa
Africa | Washington, DC | Full Time
The Africa practice Vice President (VP) will serve as client lead and make significant contributions to client impact, and retention. The VP serves as primary strategic advisors to the Africa practice clients, focusing on building relationships and leveraging their expertise in Africa and in particular sectors/industries to drive business results for the firm and our clients. They ensure both impeccable client service and value creation. The VP understands the firm’s interests and use their own networks to drive business growth; playing a significant role in leading business development efforts. The Africa practice VP is expected to make significant contributions to client deliverables and play a role in pricing and contract negotiations. The VP will help to shape the practice’s operational actions and requires significant project/people management skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in annual practice planning and ongoing monitoring of practice goals for growth and P&L.
- Assists in managing ASG team members to work together to produce agreed upon products. Sets clear expectations for team deliverables.
- Supports team members' professional development and works to identify additional development opportunities
- Works to cultivate and integrate the regions Senior Advisors and Counselors and engages them effectively in client service and business development.
Client Service and Expertise
- Serves as lead on multiple client engagements.
- Helps clients with strategic decision-making.
- Responsible for managing the overall client relationship, with significant operational support from Senior Directors, Directors, and others, to deliver maximum client satisfaction.
- Manages the firm’s interactions with current and potential future clients by continuously engaging the client to ensure all specific needs are being met.
- Serves as the overall relationship manager with specific clients, or supervises client leads who manage day-to-day operations, and ensures that all relevant firm resources are coordinated and brought to bear as needed.
- Is sought for regional or sector/industry knowledge in the African market, utilizing deep familiarity with political, economic, and social dynamics in specific African markets or regions.
- Provides guidance to client teams in order to push the client's thinking, resulting in scopes of work that will exceed the client's expectation as to ASG’s impact on the client and value delivered. Awareness of investment trends in Africa and ability to help clients navigate complex African markets.
- Expands and deepens engagements and negotiates profitable retainers, project fees or success fees.
- Uses personal network of relationships across business, government, and civil society, in Africa, to generate or significantly contribute to revenue expansion.
- Monitors current client activity for potential business/engagement expansion opportunities.
- Sells ASG’s global advisory capacity to expand potential or current engagements.
- Raises client awareness of ASG capabilities across regions, industries, and sectors to expand client engagements.
- Expands broad ASG networks through interaction with associations, think tanks and policy shops. Writes for journals, does media interviews or serves on panels as appropriate.
- Cross-sells across the firm effectively.
- Customer Service: Works to become a trusted partner to colleagues, continuously focused on developing substantive expertise to meet the team’s needs.
- Oral/Written Communications: Can effectively produce portions of written products with clear direction. Communicates well with other members of the ASG team. Effective communicator with the ASG network and/or local offices, with strong emphasis placed on the ability to speak and write in a local language.
- Personal Characteristics: Entrepreneurial and focused on value creation. Energetic, forward-thinking, “can-do” and creative individual with the highest ethical standards and an appropriate professional presentation.
- Teamwork: Interacts effectively with colleagues at all levels and across firm. Supports the ASG team members to work together to produce agreed upon deliverables. Works to create a positive work environment.
- Firm Contribution: Contributes to the development, administration and culture of the firm. Takes a leadership role in institution building.
- 10-15+ years relevant prior professional experience in international relations, business, government or related field, with recognized regional and/or sector expertise that supports ASG business development and client service goals.
- MA in in political science, international relations or business, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Speaking, reading, and writing fluency in French, Portuguese, or a local African language is preferred.
- A minimum of two years living and working within the African market preferred.
- Significant personal network that will generate or significantly contribute to revenue expansion.
Albright Stonebridge Group (ASG) is the premier strategic advisory and commercial diplomacy firm. We offer perspectives honed at the highest levels of government and business, and insights informed by an unparalleled worldwide network. Our global team shares a commitment to excellence in client service, integrity and discretion. We translate your goals into terms governments understand, and develop solutions that benefit our clients and the public interest. Led by former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright and former Commerce Secretary and Kellogg CEO Carlos Gutierrez, our team of experienced and talented professionals has the expertise, networks, and sound judgment to help address challenges in any country. We work as an integral part of our client organizations to help develop and implement winning strategies.