Senior Director - China Practice
China | Washington, DC | Full Time
About us :
Albright Stonebridge Group (ASG) is the premier global strategic advisory and commercial diplomacy firm. With a commitment to excellence, integrity, and discretion, we help our clients navigate challenges and capture opportunities in markets around the world. ASG goes beyond opening doors, working alongside our clients to develop and implement tailored strategies. The global ASG network includes over 230 regional and sectoral experts and has a record of success in over 120 countries.
Senior Director, China Practice
The Senior Director will interact directly with clients, leading in the development of research products and client strategies. The Senior Director will conduct Chinese and English-language research in service of our client work, including in building English-language analysis and recommendations. This position requires a strong China background, high-level of Chinese language proficiency, exceptional analytical writing skills, creativity, and an ability to work well within a team.
- Manages ASG client team members to produce agreed upon products. Sets clear expectations for deliverables to teammates.
- Supports less-experienced team members' professional development and works to identify additional development opportunities.
- Supports practice lead and senior staff to cultivate and integrate members of the ASG network, and engages them effectively in client service and business development.
Client Service and Expertise:
- Expected to significantly participate in client management, impact, and retention, effectively managing the day to day operations of multiple client engagements.
- Ensures that all firm resources are coordinated and brought to bear as needed, reporting concerns to senior staff.
- Able to maximize and efficiently apply ASG resources on a client engagement, with a goal of enhancing client profitability.
- Has developed a regional expertise, focused on China, that enables the leading and shaping of specific activities in the practice and firm.
- Supports the China practice by serving as a lead on several client teams with a focus on overall strategy, research, and day-to-day internal coordination and client outreach.
- Provides quality research, analysis, and writing for clients, including through Chinese language research. Acts as the driving force on client related tasks, research and deliverables, including managing other members of client teams.
- Demonstrates ongoing deepening of relevant China expertise that enables the practice to enhance client service.
- Supports the China practice in leading business development meetings, including preparing relevant briefing memos on the potential client’s company, industry, and/or issues. This may also include support in drafting proposals.
- Continues to develop professional network to cultivate potential clients and build new business through thought leadership and interaction with associations, think tanks, and policy shops.
- Customer Service: Focuses on delivering superior client services and on developing substantive expertise to meet the team’s needs.
- Oral/Written Communications: Can produce concise and well-organized research, analysis and recommendations for clients, including by incorporating Chinese language sources.
- Personal Characteristics: Entrepreneurial, proactive and focused on value creation. Energetic, forward-thinking, “can-do” and creative individual with the highest ethical standards who enjoys a fast-paced work environment.
- Teamwork: Works to become a trusted partner to colleagues. Interacts effectively with colleagues in the United States and in China at all levels in person and in writing. Works to create a positive work environment.
- Firm Contribution: Contributes to the development, administration and culture of the firm. Participates in and supports firm business development. Takes a leadership role in team and institution building.
- Minimum of seven to ten years of relevant professional experience, including time working on China issues and/or living in China. Experience in government focused on trade policy, finance, or commercial industries is a plus.
- MA in political science, international relations, business, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Professional working proficiency in Chinese, including the ability to read Chinese language newspapers and government documents.
- Strong writing, editing, research, and analytical skills, as well as ability to think critically about research scope and content.
- Self-starting, with the ability to operate on both long-term and short-term projects without direct supervision, and a “can-do” attitude.
Applicants MUST include a cover letter along with their resume. Please include both documents in one (1) PDF attachment.