Director - China
China | Washington, DC | Full Time
This is a mid-level position in ASG’s China practice. The Director will interact directly with clients, leading in the development of research products and client strategies. The Director will conduct Chinese- and English-language research in service of our client work, including in building English-language analysis and recommendations. This position requires a strong China background, high-level of Chinese language proficiency, exceptional analytical writing skills, creativity, and an ability to work well within a team.
- Supports the China practice by serving as a member of (and may lead, as assigned) several client teams with a focus on overall strategy, research, and day to day internal coordination and client outreach.
- Provides quality research, analysis, and writing for clients, including through Chinese language research. Acts as the driving force on client related tasks, research and deliverables, including managing other members of client teams.
- Demonstrates ongoing deepening of relevant China expertise that enables the practice to enhance client service.
- Supports the China practice in preparing for (and possibly leading) business development meetings, including preparing relevant briefing memos on the potential client’s company, industry, and/or issues. This may also include support in drafting proposals.
- Continues to develop professional network to cultivate potential clients and build new business through thought leadership and interaction with associations, think tanks, and policy shops.
- Customer Service: Focuses on delivering superior client services and on developing substantive expertise to meet the team’s needs.
- Oral/Written Communications: Can produce concise and well-organized research, analysis and recommendations for clients, including by incorporating Chinese language sources.
- Personal Characteristics: Entrepreneurial, proactive and focused on value creation. Energetic, forward-thinking, “can-do” and creative individual with the highest ethical standards who enjoys a fast-paced work environment.
- Teamwork: Works to become a trusted partner to colleagues. Interacts effectively with colleagues in the United States and in China at all levels in person and in writing. Works to create a positive work environment.
- Firm Contribution: Contributes to the development, administration and culture of the firm. Participates in and supports firm business development. Takes a leadership role in team and institution building.
- Minimum of five to eight years of relevant professional experience, including time working on China issues and/or living in China. Experience in trade policy, finance, or commercial industries is a plus.
- BA in political science, international relations, business, or related field, or equivalent experience, with MA in related field preferred.
- Professional working proficiency in Chinese, including the ability to read Chinese language newspapers and government documents.
- Strong writing, editing, research, and analytical skills, as well as ability to think critically about research scope and content.
- Self-starting, with the ability to operate on both long-term and short-term projects without direct supervision, and a “can-do” attitude.
Albright Stonebridge Group (ASG) is the premier strategic advisory and commercial diplomacy firm. We offer perspectives honed at the highest levels of government and business, and insights informed by an unparalleled worldwide network. Our global team shares a commitment to excellence in client service, integrity and discretion. We translate your goals into terms governments understand, and develop solutions that benefit our clients and the public interest. Led by former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright and former Commerce Secretary and Kellogg CEO Carlos Gutierrez, our team of experienced and talented professionals has the expertise, networks, and sound judgment to help address challenges in any country. We work as an integral part of our client organizations to help develop and implement winning strategies.