Director - Africa
Africa | Washington, DC | Full Time
The Africa Director will be a member of several client teams. They ensure that their client teams are organized to effectively serve those clients. Directors are points of contact for the clients that ASG serves, and they strive to leverage the expertise and networks of senior staff to meet clients’ needs. With guidance from senior colleagues, Directors drive and/or monitor the production and quality of ASG deliverables (e.g., country reports, stakeholder maps, market analyses, proposals). Directors backstop Associates and Analysts when needed.
- Assists in managing ASG team members to work together to produce agreed-upon products. Provides clear expectations and deliverables to teammates.
- Supports junior team members' professional development and works to identify additional development opportunities.
Client Service and Expertise
- Serves as a member of several client teams, typically as a secondary (client leads being primary) interface on client coordination and internal communication related to those clients.
- Ensures that all firm resources are coordinated and brought to bear as needed, reporting concerns to senior staff.
- Begins to identify ways to maximize and efficiently apply ASG resources on a client engagement, with the goal of enhancing client profitability.
- Is in the process of developing a regional and/or functional expertise related to Africa that enables the leading and shaping of specific activities in the firm.
- Seeks to develop a personal network of relationships to cultivate potential clients and creatively build new business, and to foster broad ASG networks through interaction with associations, think tanks and policy shops.
- Customer Service: Focuses on impeccable client service and value creation. Works to become a trusted partner to colleagues and clients, continuously focused on developing the substantive expertise to meet client interests and needs.
- Oral/Written Communications: Can effectively draft all or portions of written client product with clear direction. Can support the Senior Director or client lead to coordinate various work inputs and weave into an end product that will exceed the client's expectation as to ASG’s impact on the client and value delivered. Communicates well with other members of the ASG team. Effective communicator with the ASG network and/or local offices, with a strong emphasis placed on the ability to speak and write in French or Portuguese.
- Personal Characteristics: Entrepreneurial and focused on value creation. Energetic, forward-thinking, “can-do” and creative individual with the highest ethical standards and an appropriate professional presentation.
- Teamwork: Interacts effectively with colleagues at all levels and across firm. Manages ASG team members to work together to produce agreed upon deliverables. Works to create a positive work environment.
- Firm Contribution: Contributes to the development, administration and culture of the firm. Takes a leadership role in institution building.
- Minimum of five to eight years of relevant professional experience
- Experience working in or on sub-Saharan Africa and familiarity with the political and economic environment at a regional or country-specific level
- BA in political science, international relations, business, or related field, or equivalent experience, with MA in a related field, preferred.
- Speaking, reading, and writing fluency in French or Portuguese is strongly preferred.
- Strong writing, editing, research, and analytical skills, as well as ability to think critically about research scope and content. Demonstrated familiarity with developing PowerPoint Presentations
- Self-starting, with the ability to operate on both long-term and short-term projects without direct supervision, and a “can-do” attitude.
Albright Stonebridge Group (ASG) is the premier strategic advisory and commercial diplomacy firm. We offer perspectives honed at the highest levels of government and business, and insights informed by an unparalleled worldwide network. Our global team shares a commitment to excellence in client service, integrity and discretion. We translate your goals into terms governments understand and develop solutions that benefit our clients and the public interest. Led by former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright and former Commerce Secretary and Kellogg CEO Carlos Gutierrez, our team of experienced and talented professionals has the expertise, networks, and sound judgment to help address challenges in any country. We work as an integral part of our client organizations to help develop and implement winning strategies.