Associate - China
China | Washington, DC | Full Time
This is an entry-level position supporting ASG’s China practice. In this role, the Associate will assist in serving clients through Chinese- and English-language research, draft and edit client deliverables in English and other duties that support the firm’s clients and business development and assist with the internal functioning of the China practice. This position requires a strong China background, high-level of Chinese language proficiency, exceptional English writing skills, and an ability to work well within a team.
- Provides primary and secondary source research and analysis on issues related to China’s economic and political developments, including industry-specific regulatory changes, policy shifts and legal developments as they are occurring in China.
- Supports the China practice lead and other senior staff in interactions with clients. Interfaces with clients in a support role, including through written and oral communications.
- Prepares and edits policy memos, research papers, PowerPoint presentations, correspondence and other client deliverables.
- Supports the China practice in preparing for business development meetings, including preparing relevant briefing memos on the potential client’s company, industry, and/or issues. This may also include support in drafting proposals.
- Works to continue to develop industry-specific China expertise through research and interactions with relevant China experts in the Washington, DC and international community.
- Customer Service: Focuses on delivering superior client services and on developing substantive expertise to meet the team’s needs.
- Oral/Written Communications: Strong oral and written communications skills are critical. Can effectively produce written research products for clients with little direction, including by incorporating Chinese language sources into English-language research and other client products.
- Personal Characteristics: Entrepreneurial, proactive and focused on value creation. Energetic, forward-thinking, “can-do” and creative individual with the highest ethical standards who enjoys a fast-paced team work environment.
- Teamwork: Works to become a trusted partner to colleagues. Interacts effectively with colleagues in the United States and in China at all levels in person and in writing. Works to create a positive work environment.
- Firm Contribution: Contributes to the development, administration and culture of the firm. Takes a leadership role in team and institution building.
- Zero to three years of relevant professional experience, including working or studying in China.
- BA in political science, international relations, economics, business or a related field
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Ability to conduct research in Chinese and draft client products in English
- Ability to multi-task effectively, work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize tasks across multiple work-streams.
Albright Stonebridge Group (ASG) is the premier strategic advisory and commercial diplomacy firm. We offer perspectives honed at the highest levels of government and business, and insights informed by an unparalleled worldwide network. Our global team shares a commitment to excellence in client service, integrity and discretion. We translate your goals into terms governments understand, and develop solutions that benefit our clients and the public interest. Led by former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright and former Commerce Secretary and Kellogg CEO Carlos Gutierrez, our team of experienced and talented professionals has the expertise, networks, and sound judgment to help address challenges in any country. We work as an integral part of our client organizations to help develop and implement winning strategies.