Sr Python Engineer
Infrastructure/Security | Springfield, VA | Full Time
About Us: Engineers solving real-world problems
At Applied Insight, we leave no stone unturned in solving our customers’ technology challenges. Supporting the Federal Government with the strongest mission focus, our solutions empower people to collaborate more effectively in delivering services vital to the nation. Our unique approach to information technology considers people first. We make it our job to understand our customer’s mission and the user’s reality right from the start, combining technology and process to deliver what customers really need to succeed – from adaptation to innovation – drawing on our long experience of supporting the US Defense, Intelligence and Federal Civilian communities.
A day in the life-- a few of the things you might be doing on any given day:
We are looking for a TS/SCI level cleared Sr Python Engineer (DevOps-Elastic) joining our team to support our Intelligence customer in Springfield, VA. Candidate will design and define system architecture for new or existing computer systems
This position supports the program's Elastic as a Service (EaaS) team to provide quality cost effective search solutions. As part of the Elastic Team, various expertise is needed to support a sophisticated enterprise environment both on premise as well as in the cloud.
The Engineer will actively participate with Scrum development teams and meetings. Additionally, the Engineer will be responsible for working with a highly functional team developing and automating data ingest, optimizing system and search performance, integration with enterprise authentication services, and establishing/improving system monitoring while maintaining established security protocols development, test, and production systems. Other responsibilities will include working with the team to define task breakdowns and effort estimates; as well as preparing design and test documents.
· Architect, build and maintain on premise and/or cloud infrastructure to support team and customer initiatives
· Maintain and improve existing infrastructure (build out autoscaling, support new services, optimize for cost efficiencies/authentication/search, etc)
· Administer production, staging and development environments
· Monitor and analyze system performance, such as server load and resource usage
· Maintain and improve existing build and deployment processes using CI/CD tools
· Apply configuration management disciplines to maintain software revisions, security patches, hardening, and documentation
· Enforce best practices for security and reliability, and drive security initiatives, like access control and vulnerability testing
· Work with A&A Teams to maintain security requirements for operation of systems
· Perform routine equipment checks and preventative maintenance
· Maintain up to date documentation of designs/configurations
· Work with other service providers to support areas of common interest
· On-call support may be required
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- 3+ years of related systems programming experience
- Experience working within Linux distributions such as RedHat and CentOS
- Strong Understanding of DevOps and software/application development processes
- Experience with GitLab, Jenkins, Nexus, and other DevOps/Continuous Integration tools
- Experience with cloud orchestration tools (i.e. SALT)
- Experience with public clouds such as AWS, Google, Azure
- Experience with Python framework and Shell scripting
- Knowledge of network technologies, common infrastructure components, load balancers, firewalls, virtual and physical infrastructure design
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must possess excellent time management skills and the drive to work unsupervised
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options from CareFirst BCBS which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off that includes one bucket of leave to use how the employee sees fit; no separate holiday, sick, or vacation.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Semi-Annual bonuses for hours worked "over standard".
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools the need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open door policy.
www.applied-insight.com. EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.