Splunk Systems Engineer
Infrastructure | Washington Metro | Full Time
About Us: Engineers solving real-world problems
At Applied Insight, we leave no stone unturned in solving our customers’ technology challenges. Supporting the Federal Government with the strongest mission focus, our solutions empower people to collaborate more effectively in delivering services vital to the nation. Our unique approach to information technology considers people first. We make it our job to understand our customer’s mission and the user’s reality right from the start, combining technology and process to deliver what customers really need to succeed – from adaptation to innovation – drawing on our long experience of supporting the US Defense, Intelligence and Federal Civilian communities.
Our expectation is that you will excel in this role if you:
- Working knowledge of LAN/WAN equipment and related services
- Responsible for designing, developing, testing, troubleshooting, deploying and maintaining Splunk solutions, reporting, alerting and dashboards
- Strong knowledge of Splunk search language
- Creating production quality dashboards, reports and threshold alerting mechanisms
- Support Splunk on Linux, Windows and virtualized platforms
- Solid understanding of logging technologies (syslog, Windows and UNIX native logging)
- Extensive knowledge of a tier Splunk installation; indexers, forwarders, search heads, clusters
- Familiar with Splunk architecture and best practices
- Driving and managing the technology evaluation and integration of add-ons for Splunk.
- Standardize Splunk forwarder deployment, configuration and maintenance across a variety of platforms
- Apply hot fixes/upgrades
- Create data retention policies and perform index administration, maintenance and optimization
- Should be comfortable working for a dynamic technical organization with a large client base.
- Ideally would possess strong presentation skills and be able to communicate clearly and professionally to emails, and when submitting reports.
- Need to be organized and analytical, and be able to document processes and procedures
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- 7+ years of professional IT experience
- 5+ years relevant experience in supporting software products to IT organizations
- 2 years of Splunk experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or a related discipline is preferred but not required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience and familiarity with IT management products and services
- Experience with networking, server, application and web technologies
- Strong experience administering and monitoring enterprise operating systems, including Linux and Windows servers
- A broad background in technical infrastructure, including servers, networking devices, and storage is very desirable
- Programming and development skills in at least some of following: Python, Perl, PowerShell, shell scripting, regular expressions (REGEX required)
- Splunk certifications are a plus, but not required
- Effective at communicating clearly to technical and business audiences
- Well organized with a healthy sense of urgency, and able to set, communicate, and meet aggressive deadlines and milestones
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options from CareFirst BCBS which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off that includes one bucket of leave to use how the employee sees fit; no separate holiday, sick, or vacation.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Semi-Annual bonuses for hours worked "over standard".
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools the need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open door policy.
www.applied-insight.com. EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.