Internal Application: Solutions Architect
Infrastructure/Security | Arlington, VA | Full Time
About Us: Engineers solving real-world problems
At Applied Insight, we leave no stone unturned in solving our customers’ technology challenges. Supporting the Federal Government with the strongest mission focus, our solutions empower people to collaborate more effectively in delivering services vital to the nation. Our unique approach to information technology considers people first. We make it our job to understand our customer’s mission and the user’s reality right from the start, combining technology and process to deliver what customers really need to succeed – from adaptation to innovation – drawing on our long experience of supporting the US Defense, Intelligence and Federal Civilian communities.
Our expectation is that you will excel in this role if you:
- Responsible for assisting in the establishment of an IT Architecture practice, and the adoption of an architecture and standards methodology.
- Manages activities that take place during solution ideation, solution design, and solution implementation.
- Reviews business context for solutions to company challenges as well as defining the vision and requirements for the solution, recommending potential options, (which may include RFIs, RFPs or prototype development), selecting the most optimal option, and the development of a roadmap for the selected solution.
- Communicates the architecture to the stakeholders and collaborates and coordinates with existing domain architects in the formalization and adoption of IT standards and procedures.
- Champions a structured approach to business application solutions.
- Directly assists in the development of a solutions architecture program including departmental roadmaps and project portfolios for IT systems architecture.
- Building and integrating information systems to meet the customer needs
- Assessing the systems architecture currently in place and working with technical staff to recommend solutions to improve it.
- Continually researching current and emerging technologies and proposing changes where needed.
- Informing various stakeholders about any problems with the current technical solutions being implemented.
- Assessing the business impact that certain technical choices have.
- Design Implement and Support an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) environment supporting over 400 US Marshals offices and over 10,000 end users.
- Deploy Capacity Planner to collect data on environmental statistics for design, architecture, and storage capacity for virtualizing a physical data center environment.
- Architect and design converged system infrastructure to include Storage, Compute, Networking and Virtualization for a multi-tenant Linux and Windows environment.
- Maintain VCE converged support infrastructure
- Installations for security patches, functional patches and version upgrades, update manager
- Strong hands on experience in following technologies: VMware vSphere, NSX, vCenter SSO Server
- Implementing, administrating, and troubleshooting common TCP/IP based services, including NTP, DNS, SSL, SSH, services
- Experience with one or more of following technologies: Site Recovery Manager, vCloud Director, vCAC, vCenter Operations Manager, vCenter Orchestrator
- Experience and proficiency in managing and maintaining a medium/large environment (at least 50-60 Servers)
- Providing engineering support for Active Directory 2012 and related network support equipment to ensure changes and maintenance did not interrupt service to the customers.
- Plan for the eventual installation configuration and management of VDI Environment
- Configure VMware Distributed Resource Scheduling, High Availability and Fault Tolerance
- Capable of installing, configure and manage VMware ESX host
- Develop and maintain O&S Standard Operating Procedures for VMware vSphere Environment
- Diagnoses and troubleshoots problems with PCs, software, communications devices
- Provide support and assistance to System Administrator(s), Network Engineer(s) and Telecommunications Systems staff in the delivery of End User support and Systems Maintenance
- Maintains network security and ensures compliance with security policies and procedures
- Evaluates hardware and software, including peripheral, output, and related equipment.
- Participates in the development and implementation of network-related procedures and standards.
- Participates in and leads aspects of major network installations and upgrades.
- Interfaces with vendors to ensure appropriate resolution during network outages or periods of reduced performance.
- Develops and implements testing strategies and document results.
- Design and Deploy Linux serer hosting environment and automation services
- Developing migration path to AWS Cloud based infrastructure
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- 15 years+ of professional experience
- Proven experience in engineering and software architecture design.
- Previous project management experience is advantageous.
- Sound knowledge of various operating systems and databases.
- Efficient communication skills.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Extensive Compute environmental support (VCE, Nexus, Rack mounted and Blade Infrastructure)
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options from CareFirst BCBS which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off that includes one bucket of leave to use how the employee sees fit; no separate holiday, sick, or vacation.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Semi-Annual bonuses for hours worked "over standard".
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools the need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open door policy.
www.applied-insight.com. EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.