Software Engineer - Backend
Software Engineering | Herndon, Virginia | Full Time
About Us: Innovating to solve real-world problems
Applied Insight enhances the ability of federal government customers to preserve national security, deliver justice and serve the public with advanced technologies and quality analysis. We work closely with agencies and industry to overcome technical and cultural hurdles to innovation, empowering them with the latest end-to-end cloud infrastructure, big data and cyber capabilities. Our expertise in cross-domain and boundary solutions, network analytics, DevOps and low-to-high development is unique in our industry. We develop and deliver innovative products and applications that are deployed in highly sensitive customer environments and have broad applications for federal missions.
On joining the Applied Insight team, you’ll be working to solve real-world problems on missions that matter with people who share your passions and encourage your ambition. It’s vital to us that we hire committed people who are great at what they do. We return that commitment by empowering them with the autonomy, the support and the tools they need to fulfill their true potential.
A day in the life (just a few of the things you may do on any given day):
As the Software Engineer - Backend, you will Design, develop, document, test and debug applications software and systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions. Conduct multidisciplinary research and collaborate with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software. Determine computer user needs; analyze system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; design and develop compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems. Ensure software standards are met. Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints. Confer with systems analysts, engineers, programmers and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces. Design, develop and modify software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design. Coordinate software system installations and monitors equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met. Specifically seeking middle tier or back-end developers responsible for creating the business logic and services between the UI and the back end, and the functions and operations performed on the data (relational and unstructured).
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- Active TS/SCI with ability to pass a CI Polygraph
- Full time work in a SCIF is required, but hours are flexible
- Requires Bachelor's degree in related field of study with 2 or more years of experience. Additional experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Java, Spring Boot
- PostSQL and PL/pgSQL
- JUnit testing
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, Agile environment
What we are desiring from you (i.e. the nice-to-have qualifications):
- Current CI Polygraph
- OpenShift, Keycloak, Wildfly
- PostgreSQL, Kafka, Activiti
- Jenkins, Git, Artifactory, CI/CD Pipelines
- Automated testing (Selenium, Robot Framework)
- Security+ or other IAT II/III level certification that is currently active
- AWS experience
- STIG hardening
- Scrum master or team lead
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools they need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open-door policy.
https://www.applied-insight.com/careers/open-positions/EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.
COVID Policy: Prospective and successful candidates will be required to adhere with Applied Insight’s COVID-19 policy. All Applied Insight employees must be fully vaccinated or submit to regular testing as defined in the policy and must self-certify to their vaccination status on their first day of employment.