Senior Cloud Software Engineer - Remote
Software Engineering | Remote in Remote/DC, DC | Full Time
About Us: Innovating to solve real-world problems
Applied Insight enhances the ability of federal government customers to preserve national security, deliver justice and serve the public with advanced technologies and quality analysis. We work closely with agencies and industry to overcome technical and cultural hurdles to innovation, empowering them with the latest end-to-end cloud infrastructure, big data and cyber capabilities. Our expertise in cross-domain and boundary solutions, network analytics, DevOps and low-to-high development is unique in our industry. We develop and deliver innovative products and applications that are deployed in highly sensitive customer environments and have broad applications for federal missions.
On joining the Applied Insight team, you’ll be working to solve real-world problems on missions that matter with people who share your passions and encourage your ambition. It’s vital to us that we hire committed people who are great at what they do. We return that commitment by empowering them with the autonomy, the support and the tools they need to fulfill their true potential.
Your Mission: Leverage your a your application development background and grow your cloud and containerization expertise.
Enhance your current software development skillset by developing back-end and front-end components of a cloud-native, SaaS/PaaS system backed by AWS services and resources. You will be an integral part of a team of knowledgeable technologists responsible for helping to build the world’s only full-scale cloud emulation platform, SHIFT. This is a multi-faceted position requiring you to spend time working with both front-end and back-end web development frameworks, AWS and Azure services, Kubernetes, Terraform, and back-end resources, to efficiently build new functionality and continuously improve user experience. Working on the SHIFT team provides a great opportunity to leverage existing skillsets while developing new ones.
A day in the life: (just a few of the things you may do on any given day)
Expand upon existing components or develop new components for a web UI to include:
- Resource Management
- Data Visualization
- Real-Time Notifications
- Other Items Added to Roadmap
Expand automated testing suite in support of CI/CD activities.
Expand upon existing components or develop new components to support additional functionality to include:
- RESTful APIs to support front-end calls
- RESTful APIs to support API-driven services for system-to-system usage
- Event-driven microservices to execute automated functionalities
Develop new features in support of the emulation platform
Improve upon NoSQL database structure to improve efficiency of MongoDB
Perform incremental testing actions on code, processes, and deployments to identify ways to streamline execution and minimize errors encountered
Expand upon existing components or develop new components of a Terraform based cloud infrastructure running workloads using Kubernetes
You will excel in this role if you are:
Embracing Emerging Technology: You leverage AWS, Azure, and their accompanying services to help facilitate software development efforts.
Well-Rounded: You bring in-depth experience across multiple technologies including modern development tools, languages, frameworks, development/test/QA tools, cloud computing, container development, microservices, and automation.
Agile: Able to work as part of small team working together to develop solutions for both commercial and government customers.
Motivated: You want to continually learn new things and work with new technologies.
Flexible: You are able to work remotely and be part of a virtual team that primarily communicates via collaboration technologies.
Focused on Automation: Wherever possible, you look for ways to automate manual processes to increase efficiency, speed, and operability of tasks.
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you should have):
Proficient in performing software development, software engineering, or software automation.
Experience with at least two of the following Languages/Frameworks/Platforms (Java Spring, Python, Django, Angular, React, Kubernetes, Terraform).
Experience with agile software development.
Ability to work remotely as part of a virtual team.
Nice to have experience:
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure cloud computing platforms.
- Experience with classified, air-gapped, or high-side AWS Regions.
- Experience with container development methodologies, orchestration, and networking (such as Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, etc.).
- Deep knowledge and understanding of AWS and Azure SDKs and how they work.
- Experience with CI/CD development tools such as Git, Jira, GitLab, Jenkins, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a keen sense of customer service.
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Process-oriented with great documentation skills.
- BS in Computer Science, IT, IS, or equivalent area of technical study (An additional 4 years of IT experience can substitute for a BS Degree).
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off that includes one bucket of leave to use how the employee sees fit; no separate holiday, sick, or vacation.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools they need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open door policy.
https://www.applied-insight.com/careers/open-positions/ EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.
COVID Policy: Prospective and successful candidates will be required to adhere with Applied Insight’s COVID-19 policy. All Applied Insight employees must be fully vaccinated or submit to regular testing as defined in the policy and must self certify to their vaccination status on their first day of employment.