Land Mobile Radio Electronic Technician
Other | Hammond, IN | Full Time
About Us: Innovating to solve real-world problems
At Applied Insight, we leave no stone unturned in solving our customers’ technology challenges. Supporting the Federal Government with the strongest mission focus, our solutions empower people to collaborate more effectively in delivering services vital to the nation.
On joining the Applied Insight team, you’ll be working to solve real-world problems on missions that matter with people who share your passions and encourage your ambition. It’s vital to us that we hire committed people who are great at what they do. We return that commitment by empowering them with the autonomy, the support and the tools they need to fulfill their true potential.
A day in the life (just a few of the things you may do on any given day):
- Identify radio communications requirements, analyze technical solutions, conduct physical surveys, implement and validate the final solution used to meet communication requirements.
- Serve as a troubleshooter and trainer to resolve operational and technical problems for radio systems users, and coordinate directly with the USMS field division leadership and/or representatives from other federal, state and local public safety agencies.
- Identify technical issues with radio communications experienced by users throughout the customer locations, designing modifications and enhancements to improve the effectiveness of the communications systems; and providing briefings on proposed modifications or enhancements to OST for implementation.
- Plan, coordinate, build, and install new communication networks.
- Identify technical failures on radio subscriber and infrastructure equipment and working independently to address/fix the failures.
- Install analog and IP based video surveillance cameras, setup secure communication systems, and support GPS tracking.
- Build radio code plugs for the USMS mission critical operations.
- Update CPS software and firmware for all radio programming computers.
- Prepare, run, and terminate coax, network, and fiber optic cables.
- Test, tune and align duplexers, repeaters, portable radios and mobile radios.
- Set up, configure, and use complex instrumentation to perform communication tests and maintenance.
- Analyze and interpret circuit wiring, logic cable diagrams, complete communication systems schematic diagrams, and network specifications for the purpose of installing, troubleshooting, or maintaining the system or device.
- Perform calculations and manipulate test data in order to improve performance and solve problems.
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- Experience programming, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing the following USMS LMR assets: APX 7000, APX 7500, XTS 5000, XTL 5000, XTS 2500, XTS 5000 consolette, Quantar repeater, Astro-Tac receiver, Astro-Tac 3000 comparator, GTR 8000 repeater, GPW 8000 receiver, and GCM 8000 comparator.
- Experience managing encryption keys using the Motorola Key Management Facility (KMF).
- Experience encrypting radios using Over-the-Air-Rekeying (OTAR) or manually by using the KVL-3000+.
- Possess a basic working knowledge of local and wide area networking, subnets, and TCP/IP.
- The applicant should have some experience in installing and maintaining modern IP Radio Networks.
- The ability to work in a high security environment and observe all required security procedures.
- The ability to learn new radio and/or computer hardware and software skills quickly through independent study, formal training, and/or on-the-job training.
- Five years experience in land mobile radio subscriber equipment; including programming, troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance.
- Five years experience in land mobile radio infrastructure equipment; including programming, troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance.
- Ability to travel 25-30% within the Mid-West region.
- Top secret clearance required
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options from CareFirst BCBS which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off that includes one bucket of leave to use how the employee sees fit; no separate holiday, sick, or vacation.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Semi-Annual bonuses for hours worked "over standard".
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools the need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open door policy.
www.applied-insight.com. EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.