Software Engineering | Chantilly, VA | Full Time
About Us: Innovating to solve real-world problems
At Applied Insight, we leave no stone unturned in solving our customers’ technology challenges. Supporting the Federal Government with the strongest mission focus, our solutions empower people to collaborate more effectively in delivering services vital to the nation.
On joining the Applied Insight team, you’ll be working to solve real-world problems on missions that matter with people who share your passions and encourage your ambition. It’s vital to us that we hire committed people who are great at what they do. We return that commitment by empowering them with the autonomy, the support and the tools they need to fulfill their true potential.
A day in the life (just a few of the things you may do on any given day):
Join team building and integrating work class Data Science modality and process into critical mission related analytic work products. Be on the team that shepherds this customer into the era of AI/ML and show the power that data can have to the future of the mission. As the Data Scientist, you will develop machine learning, data mining, statistical and graph-based algorithms to analyze and make sense of datasets; prototype or consider several algorithms and decide upon final model based on suitable performance metrics; build models or develop experiments to generate data when training or example datasets are unavailable; generate reports and visualizations that summarize datasets and provide data-driven insights to customers; partner with subject matter experts to translate manual data analysis into automated analytics; implement prototype algorithms within production frameworks for integration into analyst workflows.
The Data Scientist shall possess the following capabilities:
· Develop experiments to collect data or models to simulate data when required data are unavailable.
· Help discover relationship between actors, devices, and facilities.
· Develop feature vectors for input into machine learning algorithms to improve situational awareness
· Has expertise in Applied mathematics (e.g. probability ands statistics, multivariable calculus, linear algebra, ordinary, and partial differential equations, stochastic process, graph theory)
· Identify the most appropriate algorithm for a given dataset and tune input and model parameters
· Evaluate and validate the performance of analytics using standard techniques and metrics ( e.g., cross validation, Receiver Operating Characteristic [ROC] curves, confusion matrices)
· Oversee the development of individual analytic efforts and guide team in analytic development process
· Guide analytic development toward solutions that can scale to large datasets
· Partner with software engineers and cloud developers to develop production analytics
· Develop and train machine learning systems based on statistical analysis of data characteristics to support mission automation
· Working knowledge of Python and some of the following software/tools : SQL, R, Hadoop, Spark, Java, C/C++, Git, Bash, Tableau, ArcGis
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
· Active TS/SCI with Polygraph clearance
· At least 11 years of technical experience with a strong fundamental understanding of Data Science fundamentals with practical experience.
· Bachelor's or Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in a quantitative discipline (e.g., statistics, mathematics, operations research, engineering or computer science).
· Five years of experience analyzing datasets and developing analytics
· Five years of experience programming with data analysis software such as R, Python, SAS, or MATLAB.
· An additional two years of experience in software development, cloud development, analyzing datasets, or developing descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics can be substituted for a Master's Degree. A PhD from an accredited college or university in a quantitative discipline can be substituted for three years of experience
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options from CareFirst BCBS which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off that includes one bucket of leave to use how the employee sees fit; no separate holiday, sick, or vacation.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Semi-Annual bonuses for hours worked "over standard".
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools they need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open door policy.
www.applied-insight.com. EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.