Software Engineering | Springfield, VA | Full Time
JUNIOR DATA SCIENTIST
About Us: Engineers solving real-world problems
At Applied Insight, we leave no stone unturned in solving our customers’ technology challenges. Supporting the Federal Government with the strongest mission focus, our solutions empower people to collaborate more effectively in delivering services vital to the nation. Our unique approach to information technology considers people first. We make it our job to understand our customer’s mission and the user’s reality right from the start, combining technology and process to deliver what customers really need to succeed – from adaptation to innovation – drawing on our long experience of supporting the US Defense, Intelligence and Federal Civilian communities.
A day in the life-- a few of the things you might be doing on any given day:
- Perform deep dive analysis into data sets and reports to identify problems or suspected issues with collected data.
- Analyze business operations requirements for data, evaluate existing data quality, and recommend improvement opportunities
- Analyze output products to assure data quality and conformance to requirements
- Participate in continuous improvement efforts to increase available data quality and speed of delivery
- Participate on an Agile development team, using Scrum techniques, as a contributing development team member
- Collaborate with peers and provide professional assessments of project tasks
Our expectation is that you will excel in this role if you:
Work as part of a small team of data engineers, database developers and visualization specialists to analyze large sets of structured data, looking for anomalies and undiscovered correlations. Combining analytic, Python, and R skills to discover and solve data problems obscured to the layman by the sheer volume of data. Apply fuzzy matching and statistical analysis to find and deal with inaccurate data points or missing data, and work with data providers to correct their input feeds. You will use a variety of tools to profile and visualize data, developing reports, dashboards, and repeatable analyses for leadership.
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related business or technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
- Agile development certifications preferred.
- Good Python Scripting
- SQL Scripting
- MS Excel (e.g., vlookup, pivot tables , etc)
- Time management skills and the drive to work with limited supervision within a small team
- Ability to manage priorities across multiple project tasks
- TS/SCI clearance required
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with Agile Scrum methodologies
- Experience with analytic tools like Tableau, Kibana, or Alteryx,
- Experience with relationshal databases like Postgres, SQL Server, Oracle, or MySQL
- Jupyter Notebook
www.applied-insight.com. EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.