Cloud Network Engineer
Networking | Annapolis Junction, MD | Full Time
About Us: Innovating to solve real-world problems
At Applied Insight, we leave no stone unturned in solving our customers’ technology challenges. Supporting the Federal Government with the strongest mission focus, our solutions empower people to collaborate more effectively in delivering services vital to the nation.
On joining the Applied Insight team, you’ll be working to solve real-world problems on missions that matter with people who share your passions and encourage your ambition. It’s vital to us that we hire committed people who are great at what they do. We return that commitment by empowering them with the autonomy, the support and the tools they need to fulfill their true potential.
A day in the life (just a few of the things you may do on any given day):
- Connect physical and virtual cloud networks .
- Isolate and protect cloud infrastructures from others .
- Set up complex VPN tunnels, routing, and firewall interconnections .
- Reconcile routes and propagate connectivity via BGP .
- Develop dynamic scaling cloud networking techniques to handle increased capacity .
You will excel in this role if you:
- Embrace emerging technology: You want to leverage AWS and its accompanying tools daily as you help build and stand up a game-changing development environment.
- Crave complexity: You will be working with a complex architecture of VPN tunnels, routers, firewalls which bridge on-premises network devices to AWS virtual private clouds.
- Are A Creative Communicator: You can communicate with audiences of varying technical ability in a language each understands.
- Are agile: You want to be a member of a small dynamic team working together and doing whatever it takes to successfully develop a first-of-its kind solution for this government customer.
- Motivated: You want to continually learn new things and work with new technologies.
- Focused on Automation: Wherever possible, you look for ways to automate your day-to-day tasks in to increase efficiency, speed, and utility.
- Are Well-Rounded: You bring in-depth experience across multiple types of environments from a security compliance perspective.
What we are expecting from you (i.e. the qualifications you must have):
- At least three years of relevant networking experience with switching, routing, VPNs .
- Demonstrated expertise working with traditional networking elements including routers, switches and firewalls across multiple product lines. (Such as Cisco and Palo Alto, etc.) .
- Experience working within Linux environments, preferably using Linux as a software-based router.
- Experience with infrastructure scripting solutions such as Python, Bash, etc. for process automation.
- Must meet position and certification requirements outlined in DoD Directive 8570.01-M level 2.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a keen sense of customer service.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Process oriented with great documentation skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, or equivalent area of technical study is preferred, or an additional 4 years of relevant experience can be a substitute for a bachelor’s degree.
- Current DOD Secret clearance (or higher).
- Eligibility for access to Special Access Program information.
- Willingness to travel within the continental US. (Note- travel is not expected to be constant, but expected to be more frequent in the beginning of this project during the requirements gathering, planning and coordination stages).
What we are desiring from you (i.e. the nice-to-have qualifications):
- Demonstrated expertise working with traditional networking elements including routers, switches and firewalls across multiple product lines.
- AWS experience preferred, but not mandatory. At a minimum, you should have an understanding/knowledge of AWS architectures, capabilities, and services.
- Technical certifications from organizations such as AWS, Cisco, RedHat, Microsoft, etc.
- Industry-recognized security certifications such as CISSP, Security+, CEH, etc.
- Experience working in ever changing dynamic environments .
- Prior DoD experience.
What we will provide in return: Excellent compensation and amazing benefits
- Multiple health insurance options from CareFirst BCBS which include a PPO plan with ZERO deductibles and an HSA plan.
- 401k Immediate Vesting. Company matches 100% of the first 3% contributed and 50% of the next 2% contributed.
- Fully paid long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account options.
- Generous paid time off that includes one bucket of leave to use how the employee sees fit; no separate holiday, sick, or vacation.
- Flexible work schedules with the ability to bank extra hours for additional time off.
- Semi-Annual bonuses for hours worked "over standard".
- Government shutdown protection where employees don't have to use leave for up to 3 days out of the year for inclement weather or budget issues.
- Employee centric culture and a belief that we should empower those who are good at what they do and then give them the tools they need to achieve success and grow their career.
- A commitment to learning and growth and easy ways to achieve both including a training budget, education assistance, mentorship programs and collaborative learning sessions.
- A collaborative environment that fosters communication and an open door policy.
www.applied-insight.com. EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled.
Prospective and successful candidates will be required to adhere with Applied Insight’s vaccination policy. All Applied Insight employees must be fully vaccinated or receive a legal exemption and must submit proof of vaccination or exemption on their first day of employment.