Volunteer Companion - End-of-life Colchester
Emotional Support Volunteer Roles | Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom | Volunteer
About Age Concern Colchester
Age Concern Colchester is a Charity which is focused on making life better for individuals in later life. Recent services which we have provided include:
- A benefit entitlement and application support service
- An individually tailored befriending service
- A qualified and vetted handyperson service for older people
- Companionship clubs for those in older life
- A community cafe for those in later life
- Emotional support services for those facing end of life and bereavement
Our team are special and provide a great deal of care for those in later life who need support, advice, information, and a listening ear.
What are we looking for?
End-of-life Companion Volunteer
We are now recruiting for specialist volunteers to help support those individuals within our local communities who are approaching the end of their lives alone, through ill health or age. Our Companion Volunteers will sit with people in their final days and hours - talking, listening, and offering a supportive human presence at a time of need.
Please note: All volunteers will undergo thorough training prior to starting in their role including safeguarding, lone working and supporting at end of life.
Companion Volunteers need to have:
- Good communication and listening skills
- Skills, training or personal experience in health, nursing or home care, support and end of life
- Experience of working or volunteering with older people and health issues
- Knowledge/ awareness of the issues faced by those at end of life
- A good sense of awareness of own physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing needs
- Good at building rapport - opening conversations, bringing client centred focus
- Good face-to-face manner
- Calm and adaptable to change- able to think clearly in a crisis
- Respectful and courteous
- Patience and understanding
- Sensitivity, compassion, and tact
- A positive approach towards end of life
- Work alone
- Work on a rota system providing support including in evenings and at weekends
- Make written client records where necessary
- Monitor and report on own workload
- Undertake relevant training and supervision as required
- Communicate well with your supervisor about all client information
- Maintain confidentiality, client dignity and respect
- Adhere to data protection, safeguarding and lone working policies & procedures
- We have a very varied range of volunteering opportunities so if this role does not work for you, let us know so we can find something that is right for you and the client
- We want you to enjoy your volunteering and we really value regular feedback
- Whilst all applications to volunteer are on equal merit, we really welcome those in later years
- People fund what we do, so we often need to ask you and those you befriend for case studies to show the positive impact which your volunteering has had.
- We DBS check and reference all team members and provide relevant training -there are no costs involved for you.
Above all we care and will go to great lengths to help those in later years. So, if you feel this special role is right for you then apply today and join our mission.