Emotional Support Coordinator
Job Opportunities | Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom | Part Time and Contract
About Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex
Age Concern Colchester and North East Essex is a Charitable Organisation which is focused on making life better for individuals in later life. The current services that we provide cover:-
- Identifying benefit entitlements and supporting applications for those 60+ - £1.5m per year in benefits entitlements
- Providing a befriending service to more than 350 individuals in later years
- Supplying information and advice on practical support services around the home for those in later years
- Offering emotional support and referral to specialist bereavement and end of life services
- Connecting people in later years via community hubs, activities and interest groups
The charity has gone through significant growth over the last couple of years and is now an independent charity which reaches people throughout Colchester, Witham and North East Essex. We are looking for a two unique individuals to coordinate volunteer activity around end of life support throughout North East Essex.
What do we offer?
Age Concern is a friendly and enjoyable place to work. We work hard but also enjoy some downtime together. Due to the nature of our work this is essential because we all have tougher days and need to be there to work through these days when they happen.
The organisation is growing our reach and activity because of high demand for support. It is an exciting time to be a part of what we are doing and this opportunity is about genuinely making a big difference to people. The team have great pride in what we do, who we help and how we transform lives.
We have recently implemented benefits which include: -
- 25 days annual leave + 8 days bank holiday (includes the detail below and pro-rata for part-time)
- Birthday off (or nearest day to it)
- A Christmas to New Year closure (part-time paid for usual working days)
- 21 days leave – pro-rata for part-time
- 5% Pension Scheme
We do offer excellent coaching and support from both colleagues and the senior team. This position forms the second hire into the Emotional Support Team - whilst some parameters have now been established the work is pioneering and still in its early stages. For this reason we are looking for someone who is comfortable in a changing environment and who is happy to adjust as time moves forwards. The nature of working in partnership with our Alliance partners means ongoing change s inevitable. The good news is that we have established structures and excellent leadership to manage this change.
There is potential for career development and also the leadership team is dynamic and we enjoy exploring new ideas and ways to do things to grow the charity.
What are we looking for?
With direction and support from the Operations Manager and service partners, you will:
- attract, recruit, induct and retain a group of specialist emotional support volunteers
- organise and deliver training to new volunteers as directed by the needs of the project
- understand, implement and check on key policies to ensure the safety and good coordination of volunteers
- receive and process referrals from a variety of sources-and refer and signpost to related community services
- develop a rota of volunteers to cover a 7-day service throughout the area from 8am–8pm
- maintain regular contact with volunteers to ensure that their experience is positive and fulfilling
- deliver regular volunteer support sessions and feed back on further volunteer training needs
- record necessary client information on Salesforce for Charities on a daily basis
- maintain good working relationships with relevant stakeholders to ensure that the service is efficient and effective
- act as ambassador for the needs of volunteers and clients- feeding back views and opinions as relevant
- ensure that all volunteering activities meet with Age Concern policies regarding health and safety, legal requirements, environmental, equal opportunities and general duty of care
You will need to be:
- proficient in general admin- the amount of work on Word, Computer Systems and general admin is heavy
- used to working with Salesforce for charities- this is highly sought after within this role
- experienced with scheduling- coordination is a key skill and candidates with this will be prioritised
- a calming influence with clients in distress, able to keep a cool head and think logically before seeking support- rather than jumping to a resolution
- outgoing, confident and able to juggle a range of priorities well
- personable, compassionate and comfortable talking face to face, on the phone and via video call
- able to understand the confidential nature of our work and put in place relevant safeguarding procedures
- genuine in your desire to make a difference to people in very challenging personal circumstances
- all staff and volunteers go through the DBS process and thorough vetting (no costs)
- this role involves a high degree of work on a PC
- you will need to have a car, licence and before joining business class insurance.
- some training will need to be completed at our Colchester venue and at weekends
- you will need to be comfortable with travelling within the wider area regularly
- the role is offered for a one-year fixed-term contract for 15 hours per week between the hours of 8.30am - 8pm Mon - Sun.
Finally, team is really important to us. Whilst the team will develop over time as the first person in to the local office there is an expectation that additional members will be welcomed, supported and that a strong team bond will develop. You will be pivotal to developing a positive culture in the office for those we serve, other charities and the wider team as we hire new people in. If you like a new challenge and are a good fit for the above apply today to join us at Age Concern.