Senior Process Development Engineer (Sustainable Materials)
Manufacturing | Hybrid in Boston, MA | Full Time
Windows are critical elements of comfort and productivity, but in the United States they cost $40 billion in heating and cooling energy. But what if we were no longer forced to choose between insulating our walls for indoor comfort and accessing natural daylight and beautiful outdoor views? New super-insulating material developed by AeroShield is designed to drop inside existing double-pane window manufacturing to create a window 50% more insulating – this can enable $10 billion in energy savings and >500 million tons of CO2 reduction (nearly half of current US homes’ annual emissions)!
We aren’t the only ones excited: founded out of MIT in 2019, AeroShield has established manufacturing R&D activities in Hyde Park (Boston), MA since March of 2020. The company has raised over $7 M in funding to begin producing prototypes and is working with 4 DOE national labs and has earned recognition in Forbes 30 Under 30: Energy.
Position Overview: Senior Process Development Engineer (Sustainable Materials)
AeroShield is looking for a highly motivated Senior Process Development Engineer to join the R&D Manufacturing team. As the Senior Process Engineer you will report to the Lead Process Engineer and be responsible for addressing scale up risks and optimizing the aerogel manufacturing process. This critical role at AeroShield is key to the success of the company as we develop and optimize a scalable and economic manufacturing processes. Your responsibilities will include designing, building, testing, and operating process equipment at bench, pilot, and commercial scale. This role also includes mentoring, training, and leading junior engineers and technicians.
At Aeroshield, we believe you do your best work when you are trusted to operate with a high level of respect and integrity. Our team members enjoy a highly flexible work schedule. Compensation includes salary, equity, and great benefits including unlimited paid time off. We are a collaborative team that wears multiple hats, supports each other, and celebrates our successes together.
Within the first 12 months you will:
- Familiarize yourself with AeroShield’s aerogel manufacturing process
- Evaluate and optimize processes for controlled chemical reactions, aerogel sheet molding, solvent exchanges and critical point drying
- Begin to conceptualize and design equipment/processes for scaling up aerogel manufacturing
- Compile and track production data to create operational consistency and identify key areas for development
- Assist in the development of aerogel integration techniques into typical window units
- Set and lead quality and safety standards within AeroShield
Background & Experience
We are looking for a candidate with at least 5 years of process development experience, but candidates with less experience are also encouraged to apply. The ideal person will have the following experience and skills:
- BS in chemical, mechanial or manufacturing engineering
- Experience implementing new processes or managing process development involving solvents and pressurized equipment
- Hands-on process experience from R&D to production scale
- Experience sizing industrial process equipment and working with suppliers on specification through fabrication
- Creative problem solver that takes a new perspective using existing solutions
- Excited to work on a small collaborative startup team with high growth potential
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills
AeroShield is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, CORI status, or disability.