Lab Manager (Sustainable Materials R&D)
Manufacturing | Boston, MA | Full Time
Windows are critical elements of comfort and productivity, but in the United States they cost $40 billion in heating and cooling energy. But what if we were no longer forced to choose between insulating our walls for indoor comfort and accessing natural daylight and beautiful outdoor views? New super-insulating material developed by AeroShield is designed to drop inside existing double-pane window manufacturing to create a window 50% more insulating – this can enable $10 billion in energy savings and >500 million tons of CO2 reduction (nearly half of current US homes’ annual emissions)!
We aren’t the only ones excited: founded out of MIT in 2019, AeroShield has established manufacturing R&D activities in Hyde Park (Boston), MA since March of 2020. The company has raised over $7 M in funding to begin producing prototypes and is working with 4 DOE national labs and has earned recognition in Forbes 30 Under 30: Energy.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to join the AeroShield R&D Manufacturing team led by Founder & CTO, Dr. Kyle Wilke to develop and optimize a scalable, economic manufacturing process. This role will ensure our R&D facility is operating safely and efficiently while aslo helping the team make more aerogels. They will get to be hands-on in all aspects of our process: from wet-lab activities to operating pilot manufacturing equipment to EHS and process safety reviews. The candidate will get to work closely with the R&D Manufacturing team as AeroShield explores ways to optimize manufacturing methods.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Lead experiments to answer key questions about our production chemistry and material manufacturing that optimize key properties for material performance and scalability
- Manage chemical inventory, tools, and materials for aerogel manufacturing and work with vendors to ensure timely and accurate delivery
- Collaborate with the R&D on EHS-related projects to ensure safe and compliant scaleup
- Perform a range of lab processes, including making sample materials for development partners, operating and maintaining lab equipment, and maintaining safety records
At AeroShield, we believe you do your best work when you are trusted to operate with a high level of respect and integrity. Our team members enjoy a highly flexible work schedule. Compensation includes salary, equity, and great benefits including unlimited paid time off. We are a collaborative team that wears multiple hats, supports each other, and celebrates our successes together.
Background & Experience
The ideal candidate has experience working in a laboratory setting, is detail-oriented, and has an unwavering commitment to safety. They thrive in fast-paced environments where the results of their work play an important role in advancing new technologies to market.
- Bachelor degree or two years’ experience as lab manager
- Experience performing wet-lab chemical experiments, including working in fume hoods
- Comfortable working hands-on with machinery such as pumps, compressors, and pressure vessels (training provided)
- Familiarity with safe chemical handling policies and procedures
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, CORI status, or disability.