Human Centered Design Lead
Human Centered Software Design | Saint Louis, MO | Full Time
Interested in working for a human-centered technology company who prides itself on using modern tools and technologies? Want to be surrounded by intensely curious and innovative thinkers? Seeking to solve complex technical challenges by building products that work for people, meet and exceed the needs of businesses, and work elegantly and efficiently?
Modeling ourselves after the 1904 World’s Fair, which brought innovation to the region, 1904labs is seeking top technical talent in St. Louis to bring innovation and creativity to our clients.
Our clients consist of Fortune 500 and Global 2000 companies headquartered here in St. Louis. We partner with them on complex projects that range from reimagining and refactoring their existing applications, to helping to envision and build new applications or data streams to operationalize their existing data. Working in a team based labs model, using our own flavor of #HCDAgile, we strive to work at the cutting edge of technology’s capabilities while solving problems for our clients and their users.
As a Human-Centered Design Lead you will work on an Agile development team to research and create user interfaces and other aspects of the user experience for a variety of software products. We build cloud-based, data engineering, and decision science software and solutions for our clients in a variety of domains, including geospatial/mapping tools, financial tools, healthcare solutions, business software, big data analytics, and others.
Our Human-Centered Design Lead role is a synthesis of HCD/UX research and design. You will demonstrate proficiency in both aspects of the role. You may specialize in user research, visual design, or interaction design; but you are able to leverage all of your own and your teammates’ skills and abilities to help drive research-informed design into products.
You'll work in an Agile environment, and will be embedded with developers to define and deliver new solutions for our clients. You’ll work closely with members of the delivery team to translate concepts into living, breathing code. You will iterate on interactions, informed by data, to deliver a superior user experience.
As the HCD Lead, you will co-lead the team along with the Agile Engineering lead. You’ll work closely together to ensure project success. You will interact directly with the client product owner, providing leadership; and to advocate for the needs of the user. You will focus on both tactical and strategic aspects of the project, attending to the day-to-day of delivery while keeping sight of the product vision.
- Co-lead efforts to envision new product solutions through the integration of human, technology, and business wants and needs.
- Lead the research and design efforts for a wide range of interactive projects including large-scale responsive websites and applications, native mobile apps, business tools, commercial applications, and others.
- Present the user interface and other aspects of the user experience visually through mockups and prototypes, demonstrating usability, readability, understandability.
- Engage in research with business stakeholders to understand their wants and needs, and leverage these findings to inform product vision and design.
- Plan and conduct qualitative and quantitative user research and evaluation activities such as Contextual Inquiry, design workshops, usability tests, persona development, journey mapping, story mapping, and others.
- Apply best practices, design systems, and pattern libraries to the creation of your deliverables.
- BS degree in IT-related field or equivalent practical experience
- 8 years of working on a team designing websites and applications
- Experience collaborating with multidisciplinary product teams (HCD research, product development, business analysis, others) in an iterative software development environment
- Fluency with wireframing tools, interactive prototyping tools, others
- Qualitative and quantitative research skills and experience
- Agile or Lean knowledge and experience
- Portfolio of design and/or research artifacts
- Accessibility knowledge and experience
- Excellent team and leadership skills (communication, collaboration, empathy, desire to learn)
Standard Benefits Program (medical, dental, life insurance, 401(k), professional development and education assistance, PTO)
Innovation Hours - Ten percent (10%) of our work week is set aside to work on our own product ideas in a highly collaborative and supportive environment. The best part: The IP remains your own. We are a high-growth culture and we know that when we help people focus on personal and professional growth, collectively, we can achieve great things.
Dress Code - we don't have one
This role is located in St. Louis, MO. While we would prefer local candidates your current location is not the most important factor; please help us understand why you would like to call St. Louis home if you would be relocating