Data Engineer (St. Louis or remote)
Data Engineering | Remote | Full Time
Interested in working for a human-centered technology company that prides itself on using modern tools and technologies? Want to be surrounded by intensely curious and innovative thinkers who push one another to come up with the best solutions possible?
Seeking to solve complex technical challenges by building products that work for people, meet and exceed the needs of businesses, and work elegantly and efficiently?
Modeling ourselves after the 1904 World’s Fair, which brought innovation to the region, 1904labs is seeking top technical talent in St. Louis to bring innovation and creativity to our clients.
Our clients consist of Fortune 500 and Global 2000 companies. We partner with them on complex projects that range from reimagining and refactoring their existing applications, to helping to envision and build new applications or data streams to operationalize their existing data. Working in a team-based labs model, using our own flavor of #HCDAgile, we strive to work at the cutting edge of technology’s capabilities while solving problems for our clients and their users.
As a Data Engineer you would be responsible for developing and deploying cutting edge distributed data solutions. Our engineers have a passion for open source technologies, strive to build cloud first applications, and are motivated by our desire to transform businesses into data driven enterprises. This team will focus on working with platforms such as Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Kafka, Elasticsearch, SQL and NoSQL/Graph databases as well as cloud-based data services.
Our teams at 1904labs are Agile, and we work in a highly collaborative environment. You would be a productive member of a fast paced group and have an opportunity to solve some very complex data problems.
Requirements for Data Engineer
3+ years of progressive experience as a Data Engineer, BI Developer, Application Developer or related occupation.
- Agile: Experience working in an agile team oriented environment
- Attitude / Aptitude: A passion for everything data with a desire to be at the cutting edge of technology and consistently deliver working software while always keeping an eye on opportunities for innovation.
- Technical Skills (You have experience with 2 or more of these bulletpoints):
- Programming in Java (Or similar JVM language such as Scala, Groovy, etc) and/or Python
- Architecting and integrating big data pipelines
- Working with large data volumes; this includes processing, transforming and transporting large scale data using technologies such as: MR/TEZ, Hive SQL, Spark, etc.
- Have a strong background in SQL / Data Warehousing (dimensional modeling)
- Have a strong background working with and/or implementing architecture for RDBMS such as: Oracle, MySQL, Postgres and/or SQLServer.
- Experience with traditional ETL tools such as SSIS, Informatica, Pentaho, Talend, etc.
- Experience with NoSQL/Graph Data Modeling and are actively using Cassandra, HBase, DynamoDB, Neo4J, Titan, or DataStax Graph
- Installing/configuring a distributed computing/storage platform, such as Apache Hadoop, Amazon EMR, Apache Spark, Apache Hive, and/or Presto
- Working with one or more streaming platforms, such as Apache Kafka, Spark Streaming, Storm, or AWS Kinesis
- Working knowledge of the Linux command line and shell scripting
Desired Skills for Data Engineer
- Analytics: Have working knowledge of analytics/reporting tools such as Tableau, Spotfire, Qlikview, etc.
- Open Source: Are working with open source tools now and have a background in contributing to open source projects.
Standard Benefits Program (medical, dental, life insurance, 401(k), professional development and education assistance, PTO).
Innovation Hours - Ten percent (10%) of our work week is set aside to work on our own product ideas in a highly collaborative and supportive environment. The best part: The IP remains your own. We are a high-growth culture and we know that when we help people focus on personal and professional growth, collectively, we can achieve great things.
Dress Code - we don't have one
While we are in the midst of the Covid pandemic our primary work location is our home offices. Once this is behind us, we will return to our normal hybrid model of working from the office and from home. While we would prefer local candidates your current location is not the most important factor.