Join Our Team
AmeriCorps Regional Site Coordinator - Oakland
San Francisco, CA | AmeriCorps - Program
Reading Partners is a nonprofit literacy organization that recruits and trains community volunteers to provide one-on-one reading tutoring to students in under-resourced schools across the country. Our highly-effective program has helped thousands of children master the fundamental reading skills they need to succeed in school and beyond. For more information, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
AmeriCorps is a one year service commitment that meets a community's critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. Reading Partners partners with AmeriCorps to provide full-time service opportunities in our programs across the United States, supporting communities' critical needs in education. Reading Partners AmeriCorps members dedicate 1700 hours of volunteer service per year in exchange for leadership and career development, and a living stipend provided by our AmeriCorps grant. AmeriCorps is an exciting opportunity for service-minded individuals who are passionate about education and the nonprofit sector.
This AmeriCorps position is Half Time (900 hours) and requires a minimum six-month commitment to service. The service term will begin in December 2013/January 2014 and run through June 2014.
In each region, the AmeriCorps Regional Site Coordinator serves as a mobile support member for the in-school Site Coordinators and Volunteer Coordinators. This position travels to multiple school sites on a daily basis, maintaining a connection to each center to understand its needs; Regional Site Coordinators also maintain relationships with faculty and staff in multiple schools. The Regional Site Coordinator serves closely with a Program Manager, a staff member with a strong educational background; the Program Manager will help plan out the Regional Site Coordinator's schedule, and provide direct instruction and coaching.
The Reading Partners program operates from 9am-5pm, Monday-Thursday. AmeriCorps members spend Fridays with their regional teams, participating in professional development trainings and team volunteer activities.
- Commitment to service a minimum of 900 hours over a six month term
- Participation in a minimum of two (2) National Days of Service
- Collaborating with and supporting AmeriCorps Site Coordinators in their reading centers through tutoring, volunteer management, and other administrative tasks.
- Assisting the Volunteer Coordinator with volunteer recruitment and partnership development.
- Ensuring that all students receiving support through Reading Partners are making gains in their reading abilities.
- Training and supporting community volunteers in their role as reading tutors; helping to create a welcoming environment and positive experience for volunteers.
- Facilitating communication and maintaining positive relationships between Reading Partners, teachers, students' families, and community partners at multiple sites.
- Supporting tutors during sessions by identifying resources and addressing questions and concerns.
- Implementing opportunities for parents to become involved with Reading Partners.
- Dedication to national and community service
- Excellent constituent relations skills (volunteers, teachers, parents), positive attitude
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Experience and interest in working with elementary school-age children
- Ability to express self clearly, in written and verbal forms
- Working knowledge of and ability to follow structured Reading Partners literacy curriculum.
- Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to travel within a defined geographic region on occasion
- At least 17 years of age and a US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status.
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Experience in volunteering or volunteer management
- Experience teaching reading to K-5 students or working within a school environment
- Experience working with a diverse community or English Language Learners
Reading Partners is currently recruiting a Regional Site Coordinator in the East Bay area.
Regional Site Coordinators are responsible for transportation to and from their school site, as well as occasional transportation to the offices, school sites, or National Day of Service events.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching; eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers as well as maintain volunteer recruitment database. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
This position is part of the AmeriCorps service program. As a member of AmeriCorps, you will be serving your community through the Reading Partners program and receive a living stipend, as well as full health, dental, and vision benefits. You will receive a stipend of approximately $8,500 from January 2014 - June 2014.
Additionally, at the successful completion of your service term, you are eligible for an education award of approximately $2,775, to be used for college, trade school or other educational expenses, including qualified federal loans. During your service in AmeriCorps, you may also be eligible for forbearance on outstanding federal student loans. AmeriCorps also assists with childcare expenses, if eligible. For more information, please visit www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
If you feel you are a strong fit for this position, please submit:
- a cover letter clearly stating why you would be successful in this position, and your answers to the AmeriCorps eligibility questions below (please copy/paste)
- your resume
In order to meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements, please certify the following statements at the end of your cover letter. Please copy and paste the full questions and provide your responses. Applications must have these certifications to be processed.
- Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense (felony or serious misdemeanor)? (Misdemeanor convictions for marijuana-related offenses that are more than two years old need not be listed.)
- If yes, state nature of the crime(s), when and where convicted, and disposition of the case.
- In connection with my service to the Reading Partners AmeriCorps Program, I hereby authorize the Reading Partners AmeriCorps Program to conduct a criminal background check on my behalf. I understand that this check will cover a search of law enforcement and court records and a check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry. I understand that my ability to serve as a Reading Partners AmeriCorps Member is contingent upon the results of the background check. I understand that failure on my part to consent to the review will result in the cancellation of my enrollment in the Reading Partners AmeriCorps Program. Results are confidential, but may be shared with the Program/Outreach Manager if necessary. The member is entitled to receive and review the information obtained, upon written request. I certify that statements made by me on this form and in my enrollment paperwork are true, complete, and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief, and are made in good faith. I understand that any false statements made herein could void my eligibility to serve with the Reading Partners AmeriCorps Program.
- I hereby authorize Reading Partners to thoroughly investigate the information on my application, my references, work record, education and other matters related to my eligibility for employment and, further, authorize the references I have listed to disclose to the Reading Partners all letters, reports and other information related to my work records, without giving me prior notice of such disclosure
- How many AmeriCorps programs have you previously enrolled in? Include any terms which you started but did not complete.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.